To make your job easier the Softmod Installer, it is recommended that you use the latest version of Xbox Dashboard which is available (1.00.5960.01). This is how you would check your Xboxâ€™s Dashboard version.
1) Click on the Settings button on your Xbox Dash, press A.
2) Scroll down to the System Info at the bottom of the next menu, press A.
The System Info screen will give you all the information you need to know about your Xbox console including your kernel version and dashboard version.
3) In the system info it will display your Dashboard versions This is a screenshot of something similar to what you will want to see.
The section highlighted in red shows you what your Dashboard version is. If the Xbox is not showing this version, then you will need to update it.
How to Update your Dash
1. Find a game, anything from Halo 2 until now, and put it in.
2. Make sure your Xbox is not linked to your network (remove your network cable from the back of the Xbox if you have one)
3. When the main menu loads, scroll down to XBOX LIVE, click it.
4. This will take you to your MS dash and update it for you.
Written by Nknave for the SID 4.0 Manual and modifed by AzzidReign